Learning how to make a basket
Always wanted to learn how to weave a basket, or are you already experienced but would like to improve yourself? Make sure to continue reading!
What better than to learn something new, or to improve yourself in something? In this course I gather all my knowledge and passion to teach you everything there is to know about basketry/wickerwork.
What can I expect on a basketmaking course?
You can follow a 2-day course or sign up for just 1 day. Throughout the course you will learn everything about sorting and soaking of willow, and weaving a basket. A typical day lasts from 09:30 to 16:00, with a lunchbreak between 12:30-13:00.
Everybody starts with weaving a round basket. However, through individual guidance it is possible to discuss options for new creations afterwards.
Whether you're coming for 1 or 2 days, you will always go home at the end of the day with a selfwoven basket already after the first course!
Already experienced? No problem at all, then you can decide yourself, in consultation with me, what you want to make! Possible ideas are: a cone, angel, feedhouse, alternative easter tree, mushroom, and much much more.
What's included in the price?
Price for 1 day: 70 euros
Price for 2 consecutive days (friday and saturday): 120 euros.
- Personal assistance throughout the entire day
- 1 kg of willow (unbarked) per day *
- Assistance possible in 3 languages: English, French, and Dutch
*To avoid misunderstandings all baskets will be weighed. If they weigh more than 1 kg, a surcharge/kg will be charged. All baskets made in peeled willow will be charged seperately as well.
Is this experience for me?
This course is tailored both for beginners as well as for people with former experience who want to learn more about basketry and improve their skills. Given the maximum number of 6 à 7 participants per course it really allows for individual guidance. It would be my pleasure to share my passion for basketry with you.
What should I take with me?
- Sharp knife
Organization of the course / workshop
We'll work in my atelier, but if the weather is good, we can sit outside.
I make a package for everyone with the necessary tools to use, etc. throughout the workshop.
Participation at your own risk.
You can sign up by contacting me via email or phone. The registration is only valid from the moment the money is transferred. Given the soaking time of the willow it is required to sign up latest 2 weeks prior to the course.
Possible dates Spring 2023 (January - June)
- Friday 20 January / Saturday 21 January
- Friday 27 January / Saturday 28 January
- Friday 17 February / Saturday 18 February
- Friday 24 February / Saturday 25 February
- Friday 17 March / Saturday 18 March
- Friday 24 March / Saturday 25 March
- Friday 14 April / Saturday 15 April
- Friday 21 April / Saturday 22 April
- Friday 26 May / Saturday 27 May
- Friday 16 June / Saturday 17 June
- Friday 23 June / Saturday 24 June
Course at your location
This is perfectly possible. From 6 people I teach at the place where you organize this. The subject is dependent on the experience and time frame available. Cost on request.
Personal coaching, for 2 people
Based on many of your requests, I organize personalized accompaniments (always 2 students together), with the aim of being able to weave baskets independently. The course runs over a certain period, 4 to 6 months, with 2 course moments per month. After each course moment, the student is given a practice assignment, making a number of similar baskets. These will be analyzed during the next session. Topics include round basket, oval basket, rectangular basket, borders and handles. The program can be adjusted in mutual consultation. The materials needed for this course are purchased by the student and the baskets made become the property of the student. Cost on request.
- Location: Zandstraat 47, 3140 Keerbergen, Belgium
- Bank account number: IBAN, BE61 9730 5814 0117 BIC, ARSPBE22
- Until 3 weeks prior to the course you can cancel free of charge, afterwards you'll have to find somebody to replace you yourself.
- In the absence of a sufficient amount of participants, the right to cancel the course is reserved.
- Parking: on our side of the street and / or on our driveway
Custom made course?
Besides the regular courses I am spesialised in tailoring courses to your needs. Do you have an idea? Feel free to contact me for more information or questions about a possible collaboration.